Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Live.

My Dad has cancer. Mesothelioma, to be exact, the kind you get from asbestos exposure. In fact, the precious time he has left to spend with us here on Earth is short.


But I don't believe it.


Because this man knows how to live.


Did he seriously take us to the rodeo the day we got there?



You bet he did. That's my Dad.




Eager to make memories,



(and really wanting to see Dominic's face light up when he
witnessed his first "mutton busting").





I love him so much it hurts.


He is such an example to me.
I hope my boys grow up to be half the man that he is.



I haven't seen him be bitter or angry about his situation.
Instead, it's made him more eager than ever to love his children, his grandchildren, and all of his family.


He's become even more tender-hearted, more humble, and more patient.




The man has perspective. We could all use a little more of that.





"There are many trials in life which do not seem to come from unwisdom or folly; they are silver arrows shot from the bow of God, and fixed inextricably in the quivering heart.--They are to be borne.--They were not meant, like snow or water, to melt as soon as they strike; but the moment an ill can be patiently borne it is disarmed of its poison, though not of its pain."

-Henry Ward Beecher



Whenever I return from visiting this wonderful man, I am reminded of the things are vitally important in life.


It's not our jobs, (although jobs are necessary) it's not our houses or our cars (although helpful and convenient). It's not the clothes we wear (and whether they are trendy or boring), and it's definitely not our social status (thank goodness).



It's the relationships that we make with others.



Those are everlasting, enduring, important.


Everything else is just stuff.




Daddy, thank you for teaching me to appreciate the important things... like the way it feels when you wrap me up in a long hug and tell me,
"I'll always love you, Sister". I know you will. I'll always love you too.



Important things... like the way my babies feel as they breath heavily on my chest while they sleep.


Like the feeling I get when I see my husband's car pull into the driveway.


Like the peace and calm that surrounds me when I petition my Father in Heaven for comfort, and the warm feeling in my heart, the welling up, that comes from having a testimony of eternal families.

How lost I would be without that sure knowledge.



These things are important.

Important.

Important.



I love you, Dad.

Love, your Cryssie

8 comments:

The ABC Family said...

Oh my gosh Crystal...I wasn't prepared when I started reading this post because now I have tears in my eyes and no tissues at hand. This is the most precious thing I have ever read and it is soooo true. Love you lots!

melissa said...

CRYING! I love your dad My Uncle Arland beautiful post..beautiful dad! Love you cousin..Melissa C

Maran said...

I want to cry too. I don't know your dad, but he seems like a really special man. I loved this post!

Britany said...

I love you. How I got so lucky to have a friend like you I will never know. Thanks for being my bestest and for the relationship we have built. You are so right relationships are super important. I am thankful for ours. I don't know your dad but you know I love him thru you. Call me if you need anything. Love this post.

Deb said...

What a beautiful post . . . the love you feel for your dad is so evident. Love and prayers are with you during this time.

sotflicka said...

What a beautiful tribute to Daddy. I love you Crys! I'm so glad you got these pictures. They are so great and just so Dad :)

leslie jo said...

KKK Brat you got me bawling! This is soo touching. Your dad is a great man and it shows in you! I agree with everything you said!

*PS.. I loved that you all matched

Katie said...

Crystal, that was awesome. Thanks for sharing. A link to this post has been passed around the family to me. :) Hope you don't mind.

Katie