Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ms. Jen and Wet Shoes

So far this school year has been great! (Minus the crying every day when I put Dom on the bus... it's not really crying, more like whimpering... and as soon as he sets foot on the bus stairs, he stops because I think he's embarrased. Although his chin continues to quiver as he fights back the tears and he breaks my heart sitting there on the bus seat with his little harness on, looking so forlorn as I tell him goodbye.)
So......
I really like his teacher. Ms. Jen seems super-sweet. When we went to meet the teacher night, she said hi to me and then devoted all her attention to these little guys and played with them there on the floor for about 15 minutes...trying to get Dominic to open up to her.
Dominic says he doesn't like preschool. He says "Preschool is scary. People are scary." and that breaks my heart. But I wonder if he's just trying to own the situation a little bit. For instance... when he gets off the bus I ask him what he did in school today and he usually tells me that he cried in school. Every day for a week and a half, he told me this. So on curriculem night, I decide to ask Ms. Jen about it, and guess what... he's feeding me lies! LIES! I guess after the first couple of days, he hasn't cried at all. He just wants me to think he is.
He has been singing (SINGING!) preschool songs to me and asking me to sing along. He has never done this before. He has told me numerous times, "I don't know how to sing" and flat out refuses to sing anything for me. When I try to sing to him, he usually tells me to stop. But he has been coming home and teaching me songs and singing with me whole-heartedly. I love it! I don't know what brought this on, but I'll take it!
Ms. Jen did say that Dominic doesn't utter a word in class, really. That he's soooooo quiet, and that he doesn't really want to play with anyone, and just likes to play by himself, which is concerning to me... but I've heard it before...last year. So, that's just something they'll continue to work on I guess. ;) He does miss his beloved Ms. Julie from last year. He's told me a few times that he wants to go back to Ms. Julie's class. Change is hard. I'm sure he'll adapt soon and love this new school as well as Ms. Jen. She seems really fun.
Dom came home with soaking wet shoes a couple of days ago. They were, like... 4 days old. So, I was a little bummed...and a tiny bit perturbed. Until I got Ms. Jen's message on my phone that afternoon, it went a little something like this:
"Hi, this is Ms. Jen! I just called to let you know that Dominic is coming home with wet shoes today. He and I were jumping up and down in the puddles together. We had a lot of fun with all that water out on the playground today (we just had a monsoon the night before) and we tried to dry our shoes out during classtime but they are still wet. I hope that's ok!"
I deleted her message with a little smile... thinking of my shy, scared little guy at school... who won't play with anyone and who is, for whatever reason, refusing to talk... jumping up and down with his teacher in the puddles and (probably) laughing and loving it. I decided I like her. A lot. I'm thankful that she's trying to pry her way into his little shell.
And I'm glad he came home with wet shoes.

No comments: