Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sick.



You don't ever realize how great life is until something out of the ordinary happens and then you realize how wonderful you had it. I thought life was pretty hectic with two little guys... being up multiple times a night with Damon, and dealing with Dominic's tantrums. But now, that seems like a piece of cake and I'm grateful to do it. :)

Last week, Damon and Dominic got runny noses and Dom got a cough. Dom was pretty sick for one of the days and then the next day, Damon was not himself. He had a bad cough, didn't want to eat, was really irritable, would cry and cry unless I was holding him, couldn't sleep at all, had a runny nose, and a fever, and had really rapid breathing and I could hear crud in his chest.

Ok... now that I'm writing this, it sounds pretty bad and I guess I should have known to take him in. But in my defense, I remember a couple of times that Dominic was (what I thought) pretty sick. I took him to the doctor only to be told to take him home, run the humidifier, and "suction, suction, suction". So that is what I was doing.

However, at about 4:30p.m... after Damon hadn't nursed for more than 3 minutes in about 12 hours, (I know, should have called sooner) I called the nurse. I told her his symptoms and she said she needed to see him right away.

After being examined, the doctor sent us straight to the hospital and told me that Damon was really sick and was having a hard time breathing and that his oxygen levels were too low. About this time, I'm feeling like "mom of the year". I called Rich, crying my eyes out, and he met me at Cardon Children's Hospital. After spending waaay to long in the ER, and after a wonderful blessing given by Rich and one of the nurses in the ER, we were checked in.

Damon was taken such good care of. The nurses were great and very positive. He was diagnosed with RSV and bronchiolitis. He received an IV with nutrients and sugar water to keep him from getting dehydrated. He received oxygen, and breathing treatments, lots of deep suctioning (which was heartbreaking to watch, and hear) and chest physiotherapy. After four days, he was able to come home with a nebulizer and I give him treatments every four hours.

I'm so happy to say that he is doing much, much better! He still isn't eating much, but the pediatrician just found a pretty severe ear infection. So that probably explains it. He's on antibiotics now for that, so I'm sure our little guy will start nursing well again soon!

Here's Damon's hospital photo-shoot... because he looked so stinkin' cute in his little miniature hospital gown. ;)






"Hi. I'm sick." :(










I am so grateful for such a wonderful circle of friends and family. Thank you so much Rachel and Matea, Kendra, Vanessa and Melanie for watching Dominic while I was in the hospital! Thank you Vanessa for helping me pass the time in the ER and staying at my house until all hours of the night until Rich was able to make it back home. :) Thank you Jennifer for driving an hour and a half to spend the day with Dominic and then visiting me in the hospital before driving the long drive home again!!! Thank you Bishop, for coming to visit us. Thank you Mandi for feeding Rich and Dominic while I was at the hospital with Damon. Thank you Kristen for the wonderful dinner you made us when we got back home. Thank you to our parents and siblings for putting all our names in the temple. And thank you soooo much to all of our wonderful friends who continuously texted me to let me know that you cared and were praying for us. We are so very blessed. We love you all!

6 comments:

Lindsay Brummer said...

Poor baby and poor MOMMY!! I am so glad to hear he is doing well. Way to get through that, I am sure it was tough for everyone.

PS: he is SO CUTE!!!

leslie jo said...

You are a great mom and we all have those parental regretful moments. Don't be soo hard on yourself, all though I know it's hard.
I am soo glad that Damon is ok and feeling better. Still praying for you and can't wait to see you soon

Maran said...

Poor Damon. I'm so glad that he is doing better. I'm sure that was so scary for you. It's so hard to see your baby sick (especially if they have to go to the hospital).

melissa said...

Oh Crystal,
I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. Poor little guy! You are a great mom..its hard to tell sometimes how sick they are..when they are newborns..its even harder. I am glad he was taken care of and hopefully feeling better. Hang in there! melissa C

The ABC Family said...

Oh Crystal I would vote you MOM OF THE YEAR and thats the truth. You are a great mom. Poor Dom and Damon. Glad they are both doing better. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!!! Even though we are about an hour away. Love you guys!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad he is doing better! Poor baby.... but he did look darn cute in that hospital gown.

It really is hard to know when to bring them in and when not to. I always struggle with that.

I had fun with Dominic...he is such a cutie.