Friday, April 3, 2009

Mmmm...

So I'm very excited because I think I'm an official "homemaker". Ha! A couple of weeks ago, some ladies in my ward and I got together to make yummy homemade BREAD. Mmmmm! It was so much fun! And we made it from scratch... we even ground the wheat into flour. Yeah... pretty impressive, eh?



Here is our beautiful and sweet host, and bread-maker extraordinare... Kathy.



We attended a short 15 minute breadmaking class that she gave during a stake enrichment meeting, and after tasting her delightful yummyness, we decided she needed to give us some one-on-one. This is seriously yummy bread. So... our friend Kristen decided to give her a call and ask her if we could come and treat ourselves to a bread-making DAY!




Thank you so much, Kathy, for letting us come into your home and for teaching us all how to be bakers!




Here is our Red Winter Wheat that is ready to be ground into flour.





Me and my friend, Rachel... getting ready to grind.






Us... grinding wheat.



Vanessa, grinding wheat.


Kristen, grinding. :)



Now it's time for mixing. Kathy has a bosch... *sigh*... some day.









After that, we separated the dough into loaves, put it in pans, and let it rise.



Here's Donna, taking a break while we wait for the bread to bake.




Here's Dominic... spazzing and mischieviously playing in the mud while we're too busy baking to notice. He had fun.





When it was finished, we ended the afternoon with a yummy lunch: pasta salads, green salads, warm, fresh homemade bread, and sparkling cider!



Our idea is to do this every month... rotating houses. That way, we'll use our food storage a bit and we won't forget how to do it... AND we'll have delicious bread to eat always!


6 comments:

Amanda Bowen said...

i want in on this... it sounds fun and good!!! mmmm. and mabe then stuart will let me in the kitchen.

Angela said...

good job homemaker! That is fun, well have to do some homemaker type stuff when you come in town. Oh, and congrats Dom on the steps! Can't wait to see you:)

Lindsay Brummer said...

that sounds like so much fun!!!! it makes me miss all those ladies!!

Donna said...

What a great idea! To make homemade bread from scratch without a breadmaker? Wow, its been years for me. My generation of "Mormon" homemakers made bread pretty regularly. I am so glad to see the next generation feeling joy in making it. There is nothing like the smell and taste and nutrition of freshly ground whole wheat bread. Congrats Crystal. :)

Bev and Jim said...

Way to go, daughter! I am so proud of all the efforts you take to improve your knowledge, not only in homemaking, but in every area of your life. I am going to get a newer, smaller wheat grinder.
We need the recipe, too. I love looking at your photos on your blog and reading the witty innovative narratives. FUN!!

Amy Jarrett Hill said...

Hello Domestic Goddess! Just wanted to say Thank You for adding a link to my photography blog on your site. I got my first referral from it! Amy Eyer contacted me. You are awesome. LOVE the video clip of Dom walking. Wow, life is really going to change isn't it? Hope you are feeling better. Talk soon!