Sunday, March 27, 2011

Big, BIG Day

Last Wednesday I loaded my heart up in the car, equipped with a rocket-ship backpack (thanks, Deborah) and a fresh haircut, and drove him to San Tan Elementary School.



Umm... he's 3. Baaaarely 3. He was still using his binki at night a mere 2 weeks ago (not that I'm proud of that). But gosh, he's still just so little. Preschool 4 times a week at this age wasn't really in my plans.


Being a teacher in my past-life, and remembering how frustrating a lingering, crying mommy can be... I made the big drop-off brief (although it did not go down in history undocumented... yes, I brought the camcorder. I know, I'm embarassing). I cried, kind of a lot--after I was safely in the parking lot. He did not. At least not when I left. There was definitely apprehension. There were quite a few, "No, no, nooos!" (Not the bratty kind, the pleading kind... which are sooo much worse.) But not a melt-down. Thank goodness. Here he is with his teacher before I made my exit... looking a little apprehensive. His pre-school teacher said something later that led me to believe there were a few tears during the course of the morning. But all in all, he took it like a champ. When I picked him up, his teacher said he had a great first day... and that besides a few tears, his only set-back was when they had to take a book away from him during clean-up... which doesn't surprise me. I had to pry his fat little fingers off the book he was reading when I tried to take him out of his carseat and into church today, and he howled at me all the way into the chapel...and all the way back out again for a time-out. Here he is after school on the big day. After his 2nd day, he actually ran out the door to me, smiling, and yelled "Pane!" His teacher said, "Oh, he made an airplane this morning and he's been really excited about it all day." Awww, maybe we can do this school thing afterall. When we got into the car, (which was, like, 10 minutes later because we had to jump off the curb 5-6 times and walk over all the manholes, and "vait" (wait) for all the big yellow buses to leave) I opened up his backpack to pull out his prized "pane".
I flew it around the front seat and did a loop-de-loop. He was spazzing at it in the back seat, clenching and unchlenching his little fists and grinning from ear to ear... filled up to his eyebrows with pride. :) He felt so good about himself. I think he gets it. I think he gets that he's a BIG boy now. He gets that school is a BIG thing.




He's proud of himself and happy. Me too... I guess. But just because I'm happy for his courage and independence and pride, doesn't mean that my heart doesn't ache for my sweet little guy to stay little for just a teeny bit longer. Curse that speech therapist who will be working daily to rid him of that lisp that I adore. Curse the articulation class that will make him sound like a big boy. I'm going to miss his "so bids" and his "wuv you, Mamas", his "by ah-sefs" and his "Mmmmm, nandy!" Sweet little boy, don't lose all of your baby-ness too soon. Congratulations on this big day in your little life.

Love, Your Over-Emotional Mommy


Here's a short clip of Dominic in the morning before he left for school. He's not really into actually wearing his backpack... that's why he's being a stinker. (Pshh, like he EVER needs an excuse.)





P.S. We were so bummed that Dom's new backpack wouldn't arrive in time for his first day. And so excited when his buddy Jack let Dominic borrow his super-cool rocket ship backpack for the first couple of days. And then utterly disappointed when it arrived after his 2nd day of school looking like this...



...it's about 10 inches tall (hand is for scale). Aaaand it's personalized, so we get to KEEP this little baby. Sorry, no returns. He can stuff some of his beloved Thomas the Train Engines in there... but certainly not a green preschool folder. :(


So... we are so excited that Jack is extending the terms of the backpack lease??? Deborah? I hope that's ok. Backpack #2 is in the mail. That's what I get for getting all over-excited and not reading the small print. Sheesh! It did say "Preschool Backpack", just so ya know.

1 comment:

Britany said...

He is so BIG, and I am so PROUD of you for being to BIG! I love ya girl, and miss ya tons!